Policy Advisory Committee
Co-chairs: Athena Adkins and Brian Bell
Contact staff: Annie Levenson-Falk (651-289-1072 or alevensonfalk[at]citizensleague.org)
The purpose of the Policy Advisory Committee is to build the capacity of the Citizens League to identify, frame and propose solutions to public policy problems -- in keeping with civic policy making.
To fulfill this purpose, the Policy Advisory Committee is charged with helping staff, members and the Board of Directors to develop and advance a new model for policy making -- called civic policy making -- that is based on the belief that all people and organizations have a role to help define, solve and advance public policies that serve the common good.
The primary three-year goal of the Citizens League is to impact public policy by helping to rebuild Minnesota's civic infrastructure -- our ability to solve problems together. The Citizens League will lead a civic policy making approach on the issues that matter most to Minnesota's economic health and quality of life.
The primary goal of the Policy Advisory Committee is to develop the civic capacity and infrastructure needed to produce civic policy making. This includes assistance in formulating, integrating and evaluating all criteria used in civic policy making. More specifically, this includes:
- Review and evaluate specific projects against civic policy making.
- Assist in developing Citizens League processes and procedures for policy work.
- Assist in the initial vetting of projects and evaluate the substance of projects as they progress related to Citizens League guidelines.
- Assist in monitoring external policy developments and look for appropriate connections to civic policy making.
- Provide recommendations to the Board of Directors as needed and ensure the connection and exchange of information between the Board of Directors and the Policy Advisory Committee.
- All outcomes will be guided by Citizens League operating principles and contribute to civic policy making.
- The Policy Advisory Committee is chaired by at least one member of the Citizens League Board of Directors, who ideally has taken a Citizens League course in civic leadership.
- Membership is open to all Citizens League members who agree to adhere to the Citizens League operating principles.
- Policy Review and Advancement Groups will be established to build familiarity with Citizens League policy history and to build capacity to engage in focused and actionable policy solutions.
Interested in finding out more or joining?
For more information about Policy Advisory Committee, contact Annie Levenson-Falk at 651-289-1072 or alevensonfalk[at]citizensleague.org.
You must be a member of the Citizens League to participate. You can join online. If you have any questions regarding your membership, contact Catherine Beltmann at 651-289-1075 or by email at cbeltmann [at] citizensleague.org.
Policy Advisory Committee generally meets on the second Tuesday of each month, 5:30-7:00 p.m., on the third floor of the Citizens League office at CoCo (address, directions and parking information here.)September 11, 2012
October 9, 2012
November 13, 2012
December 11, 2012